History Of The Motorcycle Club

History of the Club


The Lebanon Valley Motorcycle Club was organized and chartered with the American Motorcyclist Association in March 1948 with Charter #1279.  Since that time, our membership has grown from 40 members to 165 members; this includes 95 Life Members and 70 active members as of January 2023.

The Clubhouse

In May of 1948, the LVMC clubhouse was purchased; in the beginning it was very crude - an old chicken house to be exact. The members of LVMC literally raised the roof of the chicken house, so they could enter easier and stand up inside. William (Butch) Lineaweaver, Chester Hoch, Hen Gibble and Bill Stahl who at the time were all motorcycle dealers in the city, made the purchase of this building possible. The land located on South 22nd Street on the outskirts of Lebanon, PA, was leased and later purchased. After the land was purchased, Les Rhine, a member of LVMC, supervised the LVMC members as they built a new two story clubhouse; in fact, they hand made the cement blocks used for construction of the building. Throughout the years, the clubhouse has been periodically remodeled to stay in tune with the times.

In 1971, property adjacent to the clubhouse was purchased. This property included one acre of land and a small house. The purchase of the property improved our Lebanon facility by enabling us to connect to the city water supply and to expand our Lebanon clubhouse grounds.

In 1980, the basement and kitchen were renovated making it more efficient to support club activities.

In 1985, the building was given a new look with an exterior renovation and new roof. The clubhouse is used for our weekly Friday night meetings, social events

Acquisition of Bethel Grounds


In 1961 a 16-acre tract of land was purchased in 1961, near Bethel, Berks County, PA.


During the summer of 1968, a $2,600 pavilion was built at this location providing an area where we can promote most types of motorcycle events. The land is also used as a recreational area for picnics and camping for LVMC club members.

In 1975, improvement and development of our Bethel grounds continued and a well was drilled for running water.


In 1976, an addition to the pavilion was completed and hot and cold running water was installed in the kitchen.


In 1990, the pavilion was enclosed by roll up doors. Lights were installed to allow for night motorcycle drags, which proved to be very successful.


In 1996, the decline in interest from riders brought an end to the drags at Bethel.


Present day, the club holds two block shoots which were moved from the South 22nd Street Clubhouse to the Bethel Club grounds in the early 70s. It has grown to become a very successful event.

In 1971, a new dirt drag strip and starting pads were put in. In the late 70s, due to declining attendance and the high electrical costs, LVMC decided to hold Sunday daytime drags rather than nighttime drags.

In October 1972, LVMC sanctioned their first Moto Cross Event. The Moto Cross events also proved valuable and quite successful as many of our members participated in Moto Cross competition within District 6. For our members who did not compete, the events served as an incentive for them to get involved in club events and activities by helping in the kitchen, etc. Because the shale Moto Cross track was no longer used in competition, the Moto Cross races were discontinued in the 1980s.

Charitable Works


Lebanon Valley Motorcycle Club members constantly strive to improve and promote the sport of motorcycling by supporting many charitable events. LVMC are proud of the fact that we have been recognized and have received awards over the past years from United Cerebral Palsy of Lebanon County for work done by our members in the UCP annual house to house campaign, Hike to Help, March of Dimes, Heart Walk and United Way Run and the Salvation Army. Members of LVMC with its parent organization the American Motorcyclist Association and through affiliation with District 6 Sports Association will continue their efforts to establish motorcycling as “The Greatest Sport On Wheels” and to improve the image of the sport of motorcycling and clubs.

Historical Press Publications


Lebanon Daily News - April 1948


Motorcycle Club Elects J. Herman White was elected President of the recently organized Lebanon Valley Motorcycle Club, at a meeting Thursday evening at Brandywine Hall. John Ritter was elected secretary, and Calvin Heilman referee. The nucleus of the club was formed some weeks ago but organization was deferred. There were thirty motorcyclists at the meeting Thursday evening and it was decided to make application at once for a charter under the American Motorcycle Association.

Lebanon Daily News - April 1948

New Motorcycle Club Receives Its Charter! The newly organized Lebanon Valley Motorcycle Club held its second meeting last night at 1204 King Street, Avon, and received its charter from the American Motorcycle Association, officially recognizing the group as an A.M.A. Club. J. Herman White, president, was in charge of the meeting and James J. Achenbach was elected as club road captain. Plans were discussed for obtaining a club house and for securing new members. Efforts are being made to promote good will for motorcyclists and to promote organized club activities. Following the meeting, Road Captain Achenbach led the group on a short ride.

The rest is History as they say!